Neil J. Zemmel, MD CV
- 8/1994 – 5/1998 : University of Virginia School of Medicine. Charlottesville, Virginia, M.D.
- 8/1990 – 5/1994 : College of William and Mary. Williamsburg, Virginia, B.S., chemistry.
Minor in mathematics and art history.
Graduate Medical Training
- 7/2001 – 6/2004 : Residency, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center, Richmond. Chief Resident 2003 – 2004.
- 7/1999 – 6/2001 : Residency, General Surgery. Department of Surgery, Medical College of Virginia, Richmond
- 7/1998 – 6/1999 : Internship, General Surgery. Department of Surgery, Medical College of Virginia, Richmond
- 2004 : S. Dawson Theogaraj Scholarship Award. Division of Plastic Surgery, Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center.
- 1994 : Honors, Department of Chemistry. College of William and Mary.
- 1990 – 1994 : Samuel J. Goldblack Academic Scholarship. College of William and Mary.
- 2004 : Medical College of Virginia, Department of Surgery, Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Full-access cranial suspension lift.
- Clinical studies minimally invasive suture suspension face lift.
- 2001 – 2004 : Medical College of Virginia, Department of Surgery, Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Austin I Mehrhof, M.D. Leroy Smith Professor and Chairman.
- Clinical studies on treatment of partial thickness burns with bioengineered skin substitute.
- 1999 – 2000 : Research Assistant : Medical College of Virginia, Department of Surgery, Division of Trauma, Burns and Critical Care. Jay A. Yelon, D.O., Assistant Professor of Surgery.
- Clinical studies of burn scar reconstruction using an artificial dermal regeneration template.
- 1995 – 1998 : Research Assistant : University of Virginia School of Medicine, Department of Plastic Surgery, David B. Drake, M.D., Assistant Professor of Plastic Surgery, George T. Rodeheaver, Ph.D., Professor of Plastic Surgery Research.
- Temporal analysis of the effects of hyperbaric oxygen on ischemic muscle tissue pH.
- 1995 : Summer Research Fellow : University of Virginia School of Medicine, Department of Plastic Surgery, Richard F. Edlich, M.D., Ph.D., Distinguished Professor of Plastic Surgery and Biomedical Engineering.
- Evaluation of IBM Voicetype Dictation voice recognition computer software for use in clinical radiology and emergency medicine.
- Review of new instrumentation for finger joint arthroplasty.
- 1993 – 1994 : Research Fellow : College of William and Mary, Department of Chemistry, Christopher Abelt, Ph.D., Professor of Chemistry.
- Synthesis and characterization of 6-(9,10-dicyanoanthracene-2-sulfonyl)-β-cyclodextrin. Honors thesis accepted May 5, 1994. Instrumental experience includes NMR spectrometry, HPLC, mass spectrometry, analytical and preparatory gas chromatography.
- 7/2001 – 6/2004 : Chippenham-Johnston Willis Medical Center, Richmond, Virginia. Surgical House Officer.
- 7/2004 – 12/2005 : Clinical Instructor Plastic Surgery, Medical College of Virginia.
- 1/2005 – 11/2006 : Mount Sinai Hospital, Miami Beach, Florida. Attending Surgeon, Plastic Surgery.
- 2/2005 – 11/2006 : Aventura Hospital, Aventura, Florida. Attending Surgeon, Plastic Surgery.
- 6/2007 : St. Francis Hospital. Attending Surgeon Plastic Surgery
- Newman MK, Zemmel NJ, Bandak AZ, Kaplan BJ. Primary breast lymphoma in a patient with silicone breast implants: a case report and review of the literature. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2007 May 15.
- Zemmel NJ, Feldman M, Mehrhof AI. Treatment of partial thickness burns with bilaminar skin substitute (Transcyte). 2003.
- Zemmel NJ, Yelon JA, McGowan, K, Ivatury RR. Burn Scar Reconstruction Using an Artificial Dermal Regeneration Template (Integra). Journal of Burn Care and Rehabilitation. Supplemental 2001.
- Zemmel NJ, Amis LR, Sheppard FR, Drake DB. A temporal analysis of the tissue preserving effects of pressurized oxygen (HBO) on amputated tissue. Annals of Plastic Surgery. 40:624-629, 1998.
- Schweitzer J, Zemmel NJ, Drake DB, Morgan RF, Bill TJ, Edlich RF. New instruments, bone liners, and tray for finger joint arthroplasty. Journal of the Long Term Effects of Medical Implants. 5:147-153, 1995.
- Zemmel NJ, Park SM, Schweitzer J, O’Keefe JS, Laughon MM, Edlich RF. Status of voicetype dictation for windows for the emergency physician. Journal of Emergency Medicine. 14:511-514, 1996
- Zemmel NJ, Park SM, Mauer EJ, Leslie LF, Edlich RF. Evaluation of voicetype dictation for windows for the radiologist. Medical Progress Through Technology. 21:177-180, 1997.
- March 2000 : Burn scar reconstruction using an artificial dermal regeneration template (Integra). Presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Burn Association, Las Vegas, Nevada.
- January 2001 : Grand Rounds, Medical College of Virginia, Department of Surgery. Open versus Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass.
- May 2003 : Grand Rounds, Division of Plastic Surgery. Burn Reconstruction Using a Dermal Regeneration Template
- October 2007 : Bon Secours Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Breast Reconstruction.
- USMLE I : 1996. 240, 97th percentile.
- USMLE II : 1997.
- USMLE III : 1999.
- ACLS : November 2006.
- ATLS : June 1999
- Plastic Surgery Inservice Exam: 92nd percentile. 2004.
- American Board of Plastic Surgery: Diplomate, November 2006.
- VIRGINIA : #0101102791
- FLORIDA : ME91305
- 1994 – 2002 : American Medical Association
- 2005 – present : American Society of Plastic Surgeons, Candidate Member
- 2002 – present : American Physician’s Fellowship for Medicine in Israel
- 2000 – present : American Burn Association
- 2007 – present : Medical Society of Virginia
- 2007 – present : Richmond Academy of Medicine
Extra Curricular / Community Activities
- 1990 – 1994 : Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity. College of William and Mary.
- 1990 – 1998 : Hillel Organization. College of William and Mary, University of Virginia.
- February 2004 : Volunteer Plastic Surgeon. Operation Kids, Division of Plastic Surgery, VCU Medical Center, Richmond, Virginia.
- Conversational French. Art history.
- Italian and Japanese cooking.
- Scuba diving, downhill skiing.
- Drummer Rock Band 1986 – 1994.